Friday, August 28, 2009

gifts


I found this picture.
Let me tell you what it means to me......
But first let me tell you of a discusion in our living room earlier this week.
Kate, her mom and I were sitting in the living room and Kate made a sarcastic comment at her mother that she was spoiled or something, as I was rubbing her feet, and asked her chidingly
" What do you do for dad?"
First thing, Terri was rubbing my shoulders as I was rubbing her feet, so I questioned my oldest daughters powers of observation, and I was so startled by the question that; I spoke to her of emotional support and commitment to a relationship, but I spoke in generalities and Terri deserved better than that, I think it hurt her feelings that I wasn't specific.
Which brings me back to this picture. It was taken on my 43 rd birthday. she was giving me a treat after she gave me a box full of gifts that she had bought and had given the kids to give to me.
Moms do that all the time and Dads too, but think of it; in order to spare my adolescent feelings about ageing she provided the consideration of an entire family. She thinks on the macro scale for every one who passes within her emotional circle.
By that I mean she sees the big picture in peoples life, while giving focused and effective attention to their basic needs and feelings.
If she calls you friend, or client, or family, or if she just met you, you may be as common as coal, as am i, but you will feel like diamond within her emotional circle.
That circle is huge.
I have never met, known, or even heard of, a person such as her.
Again back to the picture..... The gifts she gives are given so carefully , so humbly, and she loves you while you receive them.
No guile, no regret, just love.
Some other gifts she has given me....
The ability to trust women.
Healed wounds inflicted in the decades before we met.
A desire to listen to people i don't agree with.
I swear less when she is around.
She taught me to do more than know about the world around me, she made me want to live in it as well.
I was lost and without purpose after my mission was completed, there is no good thing in my life since that has not been tied to her.
Music and art tied to important events and happenings.
Goes fishing with me.
She has saved my life a dozen times over. (no kidding)
She accommodates my eccentricity. you know, like all the teenage boys who would no longer be producing carbon....unless she was distracting me with a treat.......grrrrrr..... but i am still watching them!
She may not be perfect, but even her imperfections are perfect for me.
So what do you think Kate?
Doesn't she deserve to be spoiled for a few minutes every day?
Yeah, i think so too.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE QUEEN FOR A DAY!
but the gift is still mine.

8 comments:

  1. YAY! I love it! Happy (not be mentioned, for the number is of no consequence) Birthday Terri! It is a treat to be a part of the emotional circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She truly is a gem. I love how you love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technical Question:

    How do you rub her feet while she's rubbing your shoulders? I'm so confused! It sounds a little limber-like, which is something my body is completely opposed to. ; )

    Happy Birthday, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sit on the floor she sits above me on the couch.... how long you been married?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy Birthday to that girl! What a blessing she is to our family as is her family to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Terri! She's the best person I could ever be called twinners too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now thats a great way to start your 45 th year of life. I love you the mostest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, fair question. I've been married for 15 years now. I think I had a brain malfunction when I couldn't quite figure out the logistics. I'm glad you've found your way.....

    ReplyDelete