Monday, September 13, 2010

the buoy.

"The lines on the boat are placed for the individual preferences of the solo sailor.
I put them to my right side so that I could easily switch hands on the rudder and I seemed to have better traction with my feet as I leaned into pulley to tighten the sail." he said.....

The question was; "how do you situate the control lines on a small boat like that to give you control of the sails from the stern?."

His name was Peter Fisher; he was 84 years young; he was my patient since January; one of my first.

My philosophy has been to put a patient at ease by finding a common ground of experience and to place them in a position of mentor ship with me, so that the service I provide is less duty and more of an exchange of equals.

I had worked years ago at the Newport sailing club for the summer of 1986. I learned enough about sailing to be conversational and to understand the principals of the sport. We both Knew Newport harbor and this became our common ground. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 8 and 930 we would talk about sailing and Greece and England and do what was necessary to preserve his health and continuity.

I would come with a question each day. That was my question on Friday. He taught me more about sailing that day and warned me that I should never get beyond the sound of the buoy if there were clouds to the east as I left the harbor at Newport.
I promised that I would not.

He said each buoy made a distinctive sound and even in dense fog you could find your way back if you could hear it.

When I arrived at their home this morning I was instantly aware that something was wrong; and upon entering I found that today's question would go unanswered.....

Paramedics, Police, Doctor's to sign documents,All this while sitting with his lovely wife and talking. Arrangements were made I did all I could do then I knew it was time to go,wishing her well I left....

I was fine.....until I left.
This was a new experience for me. and i am afraid i was not at all prepared.

several phone calls.....people stood to help me....


my regional supervisor gave me the rest of the day off. she said that I would be fine in a few days. she said "It's like being in a fog; that will mercifully lift soon." yeah she called that one right.....

So I am listening for the buoy....

clear sailing Pete, clear sailing....

6 comments:

  1. What a touching story. I'm sorry you lost a friend today. I love your philosophy in working with people Shawn. You are amazing and they are so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that story! You are my hero - always a friend to those in need. I love that and I love you .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn, I do not envy your job. I deal with death on at least a weekly basis at the hospital. At best I get to know a patient over the span of a couple of weeks before they're gone home or "home". At times I get misty eyed but I don't think those people would refer to me as a friend. I can't imagine losing a few friends at the rate you probably will. You're a strong man in every sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey this is a beautiful truth. Im so sad for you and so very happy that you are the kind of man who cares enought to be personally effected. You are such a good nurse already . and I know because you have taken care of me in many ugly situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn - a tender heart petal. Thanks much for being so willing to live with your heart wide open...we're all the better for it.


    "Sunset and evening star,
    And one clear call for me!
    And may there be no moaning of the bar,
    When I put out to sea,

    But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
    Too full for sound and foam,
    When that which drew from out the boundless deep
    Turns again home.

    Twilight and evening bell,
    And after that the dark!
    And may there be no sadness of farewell,
    When I embark;

    For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
    The flood may bear me far,
    I hope to see my Pilot face to face
    When I have crossed the bar."

    Tennyson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Shawn- Why did it take me half a month to find this post? You are a tremendous person. Smart to be sure, but wise because you've learned what to do with what you know. Anyone like that is a blessing in the lives of others. I am so sorry for your loss- it felt very personal to me

    ReplyDelete