Tuesday, April 27, 2010

letters to spring semester

you know we really got to know each other this time.

you were less scary than your predecessor.

{to the seventeen year old who sat next to me in biology.

-I'm really not smarter than you, it's just with out a 2000 dollar lap top i spend less time on face book than you.....and what he said last was "meiosis"....hurry and type that on your "notes " windows while answering the fourth e-mail or instant talkie thingy whaty or whatever it is you do... (half the class was doing the same thing)

{to the young women in human development who sat to my left.

when you took notes on your lap top and gave them via e-mail to the young man who sat to your left and who missed two class periods because his friend passed away one morning after a night of "partying". I'm sure he only came back to class because you assured him that he would have what he needed to pass the next exam if he did. you were just enough encouragement at just the right time. good job angel.

[and to the young man...

on your choking comments in class during a subsequent lecture about the practice of binge drinking in college,.. your long pauses and occasional tears said more than your answer to the teacher's question......at twenty two you have learned that you are not immortal. it was a terrible lession.

finish rehab dude...................
again I'm sorry........
don't give up, you can do it...

{to my buddy from chemistry last semester who learned how hard anatomy is as a subject this semester.....

aren't you glad now that you didn't quit at mid term....to many did. hell i almost did the same thing....but you did great.
i was so proud of you when i graded your final exam.

{to the obstinate little boy who ran and hid from his soon panicked young father when he turned his back for less than ten seconds while coming to get your mom at the school....

it isn't cool to hide in the ladies room, little man...

and madam i do apologize again, it was logically the only place he could have gone down that particular hallway...
and well his father needed help locating....

and i just thought that he must of....

well, sorry.......

{to my beautiful daughter....

for whom Tuesday and Thursday salad with dad became a habit. i loved that time of the week and your company gave me strength when i thought i couldn't do one more hour of study.
thank you for being there.


as the semester ends i find my self having accomplished 95 to 100 % of my goals for the semester....

are my goals to low?
or have i sacrificed to much to achieve them?

maybe both i think.

one week and i start up with a new semester, it won't be easy, but we will try to live up to the standard set with you...

perhaps it is the clear vision of all i have left to do, or something is wrong with me, but i find the end of our time together , spring semester, leaves me feeling a little empty and sad.

but i will miss you, we did alright together.. thanks again.


your friend
papa bear.

5 comments:

  1. Shawn-
    Well written. I love your observations, and my opinion is that reaching 95% of your goals speaks to your determination, hard work, and late nights. I wish I was in one of your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing Aim. I wish I was in one of your classes and could meet you for salad lunch. Seems you have learned much more than you set out to & that is what is considered a wonderful student of life! Love you Shawn! I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been a trooper. Im in shock and awe at your determination and drive to learn. You deserve every great grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to sound like a broken record, but you are continuing to set yourself apart as a singularly strong man. Thanks for the example!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How insightful you and your equally determined spouse are. You value what matters, you laugh at the moments that need lightened. You observe and then lift just enough to help others stand on their own and you give, give & give some more. There is definitely nothing wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete