Tuesday, December 15, 2009

an indirect christmas thought.

When I was a boy we lived in Missoula Montana, my dad and I went fishing often.

The summers there were designated as the two months of the year that; "It most likely wouldn't snow in the valley's".

Fishing for my father was more of a compulsive way of life than anything, and it really bugged my mother.... so he had a plan.

If he stood on a fence rail on the west side of our two acre's on the edge of town and looked across the open fields that stretched out to the Blue Mountain. you might see a few boys stalking the creeks that watered the stock in those fields, just like wild Indians. (A few of them were Salish and/or Kootenai tribal members.)

Near one of those half naked boys would be a big silver dog, his name was Regal. He was a wiemeriner, my dads hunting companion, and my shadow. If dad wanted to find me he would call for the dog with a high pitched whistle, (same whistle that calls Sam nowadays) but Regal wouldn't come...he wanted to go to my dad, but he wouldn't leave me.

He would howl and bark and make a fuss, until I was invited to leave the hunting party!

So I would head home 3/4 of a mile across the openfeilds and streams.

At the fence Regal would jump over and run to the garage, following him I would find my dad loading fishing gear into the front of his 55 ford pickup. dad dropped the tail gate and the big dog bounded in to the back.

"Where ya goin' dad?" I asked "Lost Creek, Don't you want to go?" he replied. (hmm. lost creek never been there.... sounds mysterious and scary....) "Sure dad sounds fun." My assignment was to go in the house get dressed "properly" and tell my mom that "I wanted dad to take me fishing." and be back before she could ask to many questions...... She frowned but didn't ask...

The youngest child has such jedi powers.....

I jumped into the back of the truck sat down, near the front, in the middle of the big spare tire. The big dog lay next to me as he had done my whole life. he snored while I scratched his ears and ribs, and watched the countryside roll by.

what has this to do with Christmas? I'll have to finish the story tomorrow or the next day because anatomy lecture final looms like the abominable snow creature (Rudolf)

4 comments:

  1. you could write a book about your life - a really good and interesting book! I'll be waiting for the end of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh suspense! I agree with Jen, you should write a memoir or somethin! You're a great story-teller, Shawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me you've read "A River Runs Through It." If not I am so buying you that book. The movie doesn't count. (it was good, but still...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have not read it... does it have anything to do with the effects of norepinephrine on the post ganglionic neurons of the sympathetic subdivision of the autonomic nervous system....(groan) my head hurts..(thump!).....Zzzzzzzz. :-)

    i would love to read it though. because you recommend it.
    i only saw the movie because terri wanted to see it (i wonder why.....hmm.)

    it was set in montana but i thought it was billings or helena?

    ReplyDelete